This gem uses the Mastodon stream API to replicate your toot on Twitter, handling the “500 to 140 characters limit” conversion.
I advice you to use rbenv to manage your Ruby environment to not mess up your system.
To use it:
- Clone this repository somewhere (
git clone https://git.imirhil.fr/aeris/cross-post/)
- Install dependencies with Bundler (
- Create a
$HOME/.cross-post.yml configuration file, based on the example available here
- Register the app on Twitter (
bundle exec bin/twitter-register)
- You can reuse my Twitter app OAuth credentials, or register a new app from scratch here
- Register the app on Mastodon (
bundle exec bin/mastodon-register)
- You need to change the consumer key and secret to whaveter your instance have for this app. See with your instance admin for real values.
- If your instance currently doesn't support this app, just remove the consumer part, registration process will create a new app on your instance.
- Start the replication (
bundle exec bin/feed-twitter)
If needed, a SystemD unit example is available here
- Handling multimedia resources
- Publishing on RubyGems